Subject: [Leica] RE: Exposing Tri-X at 320
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 07:45:09 -0700

Art,

You are correct.

Over exposure and underdevelopment is compression. It pulls the bright
highlight and the deep shadow closer together. The overexposure lets the
deep shadows find a few silver halide molecules to expose and the under
development keeps the bright highlights from blocking because of the
overexposure. Reducing contrast. Flattening out the gamma curve.

Under exposure and over development is expansion. It spreads out the tonal
range and makes the dark grays more black and the light grays more white.
Just the opposite physics of compression. Increasing contrast. Steepening
the gamma curve.

Jim