Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Exposing Tri-X at 320
From: John Hicks <jbh@magicnet.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 17:24:55 -0400

At 10:53 PM 7/25/00 +0100, you wrote:

>> I had long understood that underexposing and overdeveloping increases
>> contrast.  And somewhere, somehow (I can't recall and can't explain
>> it), I had gotten the impression that, conversely, overexposing and
>> underdeveloping rather decreases contrast.
>
> As I recall, overdeveloping will
>also increase grain size.

  Look at it from the other direction....

  Less development causes the curve shape to flatten out. If your speed
point, say an exposure for Zone I, was at .10 DU above fb&f it's now
_lower_ than .10 DU, therefore if you want to maintain a speedpoint of .10
DU you'll have to give the film more exposure.
  Conversely, more development increases the slope of the curve; your
speedpoint is now denser, so in order to get the desired .10 DU for Zone I
you'll need to give less exposure.

  Giving more exposure while not decreasing development moves the deepest
shadows up off the low-contrast toe area of the curve into the low end of
the straight-line middle section, or iow increases shadow contrast. With
old films it could push the highlights up into a low-contrast shoulder
area, making them look muddy, but that's just about impossible with modern
films.

  Other things being equal, increased development increases apparent
graininess.

John Hicks

jbh@magicnet.net