Subject: RE: [Leica] digital quality
From: MIKIRO <arbos@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 18:23:28 +0200

BD-
You are absolutely right.  I admit that good digital printing visualises the
lens characters you mentioned.  My point is whether we can see or "enjoy"
character differences between, say, Summicron-R 50mm and Zeiss Planar 50mm,
which I did in many if not all of the images in conventional prints.  The
images from these two lenses are comparable (hard to fault!) in terms of
sharpness, contrast, microdetails, ... Nevertheless they just have different
looks. The "raison d'etre" of Leica R for me is solely this subtle and
trivial (as you might say) difference that is essentially irrelevant to the
content of photographs.  Is digital printing good enough in this particular
regard?

MIKIRO