Subject: RE: [Leica] Peeling R4 Bayonet
From: "Bergman, Mark A." <mabergm@nppd.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 08:47:31 -0500

The tolerance amounts your discussing (+0.005 mm to -0.01) are extremely
difficult to measure and would require special equipment to do so.  I do not
imagine the Leitz engineers are that stupid.  You design the parts such that
assembly should be straight forward, not require huge amounts of time with
the very high potential of being out of focus.

In the US (and the policy may have changed since I inquired some time ago)
Leitz charges a flat charge for R4 repair.  Before a specific serial number
the cost is quite high, after that serial number the price is only half
(though still expensive).  Thus you are not only paying to replace the lens
mount but for a total overhaul & CLA and warranty.  If you only need a lens
mount and feel you are not mechanically inclined enough to replace 6 screws
take it to any competent camera repair person.  If Leitz wants too much for
a simple lens mount look for a damaged camera.