Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: The quintessence of Leica photography?
From: "M.E.Berube - GoodPhotos" <meb@goodphotos.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 09:41:14 -0400

It was written:
> > It is not simple. It is not "point and shoot." It requires
> visualization and thought. It requires a
> > thorough knowledge of the processes involved. It requires work, which
> is where many people give up.
>
>Just because one uses a scanner, PS and an inkjet does not mean one just
>"points and shoots".
>Everything else you said about 'visualizing', 'knowledge', 'learning',
>'technique' bla bla bla. all apply to any form of visual communication, and
>certainly to the post processing of film images, whether it be wet darkroom
>or scanning, PhotoShop and inkjet printing.

Gentlemen,

Digital Darkroom is to the "Craft of Photography" what CAD is to the "Craft
of Illustration."
They are simply two different Crafts which tend to overlap in some
characteristics.
They have different applications and each has it's own pros and cons.
Quality results are not possible (other than by chance) by anyone not
dedicated to learning the skills that each discipline requires.

Personally, I want to see chemical darkroom work (and manually set
photography in general) become rare. The prints from a chemical darkroom
have a different look than those of a digital darkroom IMHO. As more and
more folks move to solely digital media, the 'craft of traditional
photography' (ala Adam's "The Negative, The Camera and The Print") becomes
something that only those who have taken the time to learn the old darkroom
ways will practice. There will always be some dedicated craftspersons even
to the new digital processes such as you pioneer digital/chemical hybrid
photographers who already exist here on LUG (the bastion of manual
simplicity.) This dedication (to chemical or digital processes) will
continue to be marketable as the average 'digitographer' resorts to total
automation of their image making process. Total automation equals an
averaging of all possible variables and therefore the average
digitographers work will look like every other digitographers work. (Even
more so than now. The theory here being people are lazy and will take the
path to least resistance and effort. They will allow their digicams and
printers to do the work to the status quo paradigms to get 'good' emailable
snapshots.)

Comment overheard 2005 CE:
"Well did you hear the Jones' had their family portraits made by a
photographer who actually used film and processed the prints in chemicals
in her own darkroom! Of course it cost her twice as much to have them done
on film and using chemicals, but it is such a quaint retro-procedure that
it was worth every penny."

Keep your (Dektol) powder dry.
Michael E. Berube