Subject: Re: [Leica] Minolta question
From: "M.E.Berube - GoodPhotos" <meb@goodphotos.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 15:48:43 -0400

At 04:42 PM 7/27/00 +1200, you wrote:
>Hiya,
>
>Cruising through town this afternoon i came across an old Minolta, what
>looked like-- compact/snap shot type camera sitting in a shop window. I
>can't remember what it was called, but it reminded me of some of the
>pictures i've seen of the CL. It don't know if it has a fixed lens or not
>(it looked like it), but the lens was a 38/2.7 Minolta/Nikkor lens and had
>an iso scale setting on the lens itself. I also noticed it had a switch for
>flash operation on the right, front hand side, and what looked like a
>hotshoe on top. It was really cheap, and i wondered if anyone knew anything
>about it? Is the glass worth the, about $20, they had on it.
>
>Cheers,
>Gary

Here is what I got back for an answer:

To: MinoltaXK@egroups.com Subject: Re: [MinoltaXK] Fwd: [Leica] Minolta
question
Minolta cameras with 38mm Rokkor lenses (I'm sure he didn't mean Nikkor) are
as follows:
* Autopak 700, 38/2,8 range-finder coupled (uses obsolete 127 film)
* Minoltina P, 38/2,8 scale focus (no built-in shoe, but has accessory)
* AL-F, 38/2,7 range-finder
* Hi-Matic F/FP, 38/2,7 range-finder
* Hi-Matic G/G2, 38/2,8 scale focus
* Hi-Matic AF/AF2/AF2-M, 38/2,8 auto-focus (built-in flash, AF2-M has
motorized film advance)
* several AF point-and-shoot cameras after that
I don't think any of these have a 'switch for flash operation on the right,
front hand side.' From his description it is most likely the Hi-Matic F,
and if it reminded him of the CL, a Hi-Matic FP (black model). Any of these
cameras are worth $20, and the black models of the Hi-Matic E and F are rare
and collectible, as opposed to the popular and common chrome bodies (recent
eBay prices for a functional chrome F range from $20 to $65).
In my opinion, he probably won't be too excited by the camera. The lens is
sharp, but if it is an F, its shutter/aperture is electronic only, and it
uses an obsolete battery. These are the least interesting Minolta
fixed-lens cameras. I prefer some models with 35, 40, 45 mm Rokkors, which
as a bonus are often faster than f/2,7.
- ---
Justin "RED" Bailey

Carpe Luminem,