Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: The quintessence of Leica photography? - Long response -
From: Steven Alexander <alexpix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 09:52:38 -0400

What I've seen with chemical v. digital darkroom comes down to the
following:

digital offers vast correction, modification and exact duplication with an
unlimited medium display.

chemical offers vast correction, modification and duplication with a limited
medium display.

Skill sets are vastly different; however, skilled persons can acheive
outstanding results from either digital or chemical.

I do not have space for a chemical darkroom and am therefore developing
digital skill sets and am seeing prints that now approach what 30 years of
chemical skills had been able to create.

Most interesting is that I never did color printing and now I am doing a few
older pictures.  Good, not excellent, digital color is as good as
outstanding chemical color printing.  I see only differences in B&W due to
limited tonal scale of digital medium.

Also I find the black smudges on my hands as annoying as the brown finger
nails.

All my Leica images look better printed and displayed than hidding in the
negative storage boxes.

Happy snaps,
Steven Alexander

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: The quintessence of Leica photography? - Longresponse -)