Subject: Re: [Leica] Alternate route to Boston
From: Steven Alexander <alexpix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 17:34:23 -0400

on 7/28/00 12:42 PM, Peter A. Klein at pklein@2alpha.net wrote:

> Here's a little advice from a former Bostonian:
>
> For those of you who have been nearly terrified out of going to the
> Great Boston Event, take heart.  There is another, nearly painless way
> to get to the Boston area which avoids the city, the Big Dig, and the
> homicidal driving entirely.  I have used it to visit my old home town,
> Lexington, which is adjacent to Burlington.
>
> Here's how:  Forget Boston's Logan Airport.  Fly to Manchester, New
> Hampshire instead.  Rent a car at the airport.  Get on the Everett
> Turnpike going south (get good directions, it's a little tricky to
> find).  Eventually it becomes U.S. Route 3. There are two tollbooths (75
> cents each, I think), but it's highway driving all the way.  In about 50
> miles, you will find yourself in Burlington--just before Rt. 3
> intersects I-95, aka Rt. 128.  Ask one of the Boston LUGgers for the
> exact exit and directions to the Marriot from there.
>
> Don't use I-93 from Manchester, as it is longer, and forces you to use
> I-95/128 to get to Burlington.
>
> I'm writing this from memory, 3000 miles away, so ask Boston people for
> more specifics.
>
> Advantages:
>
> - 50 miles of highway driving takes about the same time (often less) as
> the 20 hard-core urban miles from Logan, through Boston, to Burlington.
> It is definitely *much* less stress.
>
> -  You'll have a car (pronounced "caaah") to go to New England Photo in
> Arlington (pronounced "Aaahlington").
>
> - If the foliage season is a little early, you might see the beginnings
> of some colored leaves up north.
>
> - You'll see some rural New England scenery you wouldn't see going
> through Logan.  You might even get the urge to quote Robert Frost.
>
> Disadvantages:
>
> - You will not be able to regale your friends with tales of terror and
> derring-do about driving in Boston.
>
> - You'll have to make a special trip into the city to see the historic
> sites, do street photography, and go to any Photographic Toy Stores in
> Boston or Cambridge.  If you do, drive to an MBTA station and take the
> bus/train into the city--don't drive.
>
> - There are not as many direct flights to Manchester as there are to
> Logan.  But if you have to make two hops anyway, it's a nice
> alternative.
>
> - You will have to set foot in Manchester, home of the notorious
> Manchester Union Leader, a newspaper that makes the Orange County
> Register look liberal and The Wall Street Journal look pink by
> comparison.  If you like that sort of thing, put it in the plus column.
>
> Hope this is helpful!
> --Peter Klein
> Seattle, WA
You are correct...whenever possible I fly out of Manchester and the trip to
Burlington is a snap.

No one should be put off by the belly aching we locals have done.  Tonight a
relative is arriving at Logan and taking the Logan Express to Woburn.  I'll
pick her up and the entire experience will leave no scars.  And beside it
being Friday evening, the President is in town.

There is so much to photograph in this area all you Leica folk should come
the LHSA meeting and become members.

Happy snaps,

Steven Alexander