Subject: Re: [Leica] M4-P: Vivitar 283 or 285
From: CapsTeeth@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 13:38:15 EDT

In a message dated 7/28/00 1:22:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time, SteSanch@aol.com
writes:

<< I'm new to my M4-P. Looking for advice on a flash -- another M user
suggested
 a vivitar 283 or 285. Reasonable suggestion? Thanks. >>

285 has zoom head, 283 fixed at 35mm, otherwise the same unit.  Cheap,
indestructible (except for the foot, which is easily broken but can be
replaced with aftermarket ones made of aluminum) but large and ungainly on an
M.  Better choice IMO is the Sunpak 383 Super.  Same G/N as 283/285, smaller,
lighter has swivel as well as bounce (VIV's only bounce), plus built-in
vari-power switch (VIV's are add-on extra).  One advantage of 283/285 is
remote sensor cord, allows taking flash off camera but auto sensor stays in
hot-shoe for more accurate metering angle.
Another very nice flash for M: Olympus S20.  Tiny, powerful flash, a
non-dedicated clone of the Leica CF made for the minilux.  Sells for $50 @
B&H, takes 2 AA's, recycles instantly and is about 2/3 the size of a
cigarette pack.

Doc