Subject: [Leica] Focusing a 280 F2.8???
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 11:40:00 +0000

Well, kids.

I appreciate all the 280 advice.  But try this.

Yesterday I was shooting a certain high profile wedding and had rented a
N 600 f/4 with converter.  And was rocking on the swells in a 50 foot
boat just offshore of Malibu.

Two things helped, though sometimes the conditions were beyond help.

One was a monopod and a fishing pole belt with a place for a pole butt.
Looked like I was wearing one of those old fashioned cod-pieces.  This
settles the weight of the lens onto the waist and makes it easier.  The
problem was that sometimes it was difficult to stand up even without
holding anything.

Second trick.  Took a tripod and a horizontal arm, the kind for shooting
off to the side.  Brought along one of the weights I've made up of a
2-inch PVC pipe filled with lead shot and capped and with an Eye-bolt
attached.  Hang that from one end of the arm.  Then get a couple 3-foot
bungee cords.  intertwine these and hook the hooks and tape them.  Loop
this over the opposite end of the side arm and slide the 600 into the
loop.  This takes much of the weight, isolates the lens from vibration
(two big diesels under foot) and some from motion.

Despite all of this, many muscles hurting.  And I've been lifting
weights at the gym!!

Especially quadaceps from kneeling part way for minutes on end(less).

Focus??  Often went to manual simply because even with all the help it
was difficult to keep a focus point on a spot long enough, given the
motion.

A Kenyon Gyro did seem to damping the micro moves, but not big enough to
really handle the 600.  An 80-200, though, was no trouble.  My last
frame of the day was with the 80-200 at 1/6th second, but looked rock
steady.

And some of you thought weddings were supposed to be shot with Hassey
and a flash on camera!!

donal
- --
Donal Philby