Subject: Re: [Leica] Focusing a 280 F2.8???
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 19:48:31 -0700

Donal Philby wrote:

> Well, kids.
>
> I appreciate all the 280 advice.  But try this.
>
> Yesterday I was shooting a certain high profile wedding and had rented a
> N 600 f/4 with converter.  And was rocking on the swells in a 50 foot
> boat just offshore of Malibu.<<<<<<<  SNIP BIG TIME!  :-)

Hi Donal,
Well any one thinking they can top Donal's post, better make it beyond
Oscar winning great! :-)

Good on you Donal,  as you posted this at an appropriate time for those
who think every frame must be shot on a rock solid base!

The only time I've shot moving boats, never mind a wedding on a boat,
was the '84 Olympics off your coast when they were held in LA.  It was
hell!  The Photo boat was moving, competition boats were moving and all
the photogs, including moi,  on our shoot boat were hung over! Thanks to
the "Photographers Party" hosted by Canon the evening before!  Like it
was "OUCH"  big time.

So what you've described here is a wonder of modern technology and will
leave the " tripod/monopod" folks who believe only the use of a
tripod/monopod can one expect to capture crystal clear sharp images,
having nightmares!  :-)  God I love it when someone comes in with a real
time experience that sets these theory dummies on their ass! : -)  Miro
are you listening?

Donal good on you for making it work!  However, don't be surprised if
Miro or some other twitchy anti reality person comes back and wants to
screw it all up because they have no idea what the shooting life
conditions of a working photographer are all about!

ted