Subject: RE: [Leica] Street photography
From: Peterson Arthur G NSSC <PetersonAG@NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 07:20:37 -0400

And indeed it did, Erwin.  Thank you.

Art Peterson

- -----Original Message-----
From:	Erwin Puts [mailto:imxputs@knoware.nl]
Sent:	Sunday, July 30, 2000 3:35 PM
To:	L U G
Subject:	[Leica] Street photography

My state of mental health has been questioned when I cited that the
Rolleiflex and the Speed Graphlex were good instruments for outstanding
street and documentary photography.  If photographic history is a guide, I
may mention Boubat, Doisneau, van der Elsken as exemplary street
photographers with Rolleicord and Rolleiflex, with a quality of dynamics and
available light scenes than many a contemporary Leica photographer would
have put to a challenge.  For larger format photography the history is even
longer, spanning from Lewis Hine (Graphlex) to  Walker Evans (4x5 inch) to
Weegee (Graphlex), Berenice Abbott, August Sander, to the Japanese Araki
with a 6x7 camera.  I do not deny the excellence of the 35mm format for this
type, but my reference was meant to broaden the perspective.

Erwin