Subject: [Leica] Leica R system question (R5 and RE question, actually)
From: "William Gower" <wgower@eco-tec.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 11:34:46 +0000

Hello LUG'ers

Anyone out there with a Leica R-E ? I have a early R-E (serial number
17783xx) whose shutter looks a little different than an associates later R5
(17786xx) and other R4's and R5's I've inspected.

Both shutters look mechanically identical, but my R-E's shutter colour is a
flat grey, where my associates R5 is a deep black.

Both cameras were made in the same block of 2500 cameras. And to the best of
my knowledge, the RE is identical to the R5 with the exception of the
program modes.

Do cosmetic differences in shutters appear with regularity ?

I bought my R-E used, and didn't notice the difference in the shutter until
last weekend when I looked closely at the R5.

The shutter doesn't look "worn", it's just a uniform dull grey colour.

It's trivial, really, but I'm certainly curious.

regards

William