Subject: Re: Shifty Lenses WAS: [Leica] More chain link fences
From: "William Gower" <wgower@eco-tec.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 10:19:24 +0000

>><Snip>
>> not to start a cat fight but doesn't n**** make a lens or two that allows
>> the photographer to throw back or foreground out of focus. any luggers got
>> any experience with those lenses?
>>
>> guy

Not to bring up the "N" word, but FYI...

Nikon made (perhaps still makes, I dunno ?) a 135mm f2 AF-DC that allowed
you to manipulate the degree of "softness" in the plane of focus, shifting
it to either the foreground or background.

I played with one briefly at a shop in Tokyo last year (Nikon House, Ginza).
As I recall, the "shift" seemed pretty subtle, even when playing around with
the D.O.F. preview, it was hard to tell. I guess you'd have to experiment
and print some shots to see the difference.

Like most AF Lenses, it felt pretty "plasticy".

I haven't seen a 105 DC lens.

Regards

William

WI