Subject: Re: [Leica] Street photography
From: John Brownlow <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 12:07:23 -0400

on 31/7/00 11:40 am, John Collier at jbcollier@home.com wrote:

> No offence taken John as my post was partly tongue in cheek. I do, however,
> feel that a great deal of the currant legislative backlash against street
> photography is due to the general public's perception that street
> photography is an intrusive and harassing act. While I do agree with you,
> the problem is not convincing me, or almost any photographer, but the
> general public. Their worse fears run along the lines of being photographed,
> a la Mussolini, in embarrassing situations such adjusting the position of
> undergarments or genitalia, or the classic, picking their noses. The
> unfortunate all too public intrusiveness of some will have far reaching
> effects on you and me.

Now you put it like that I agree with you!

Thanks for being a good sport in the face of my rant.

I must say that I think the paranoia about SP is overdone. If you actually
go out there and take pictures in a reasonable manner, it's basically not
contentious. Photographing criminals, junkies, illegal aliens, drunks etc
can get you in trouble but i suspect it always did.
- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com