Subject: Re: [Leica]Independent Media
From: John Brownlow <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 16:14:28 -0400

on 1/8/00 3:47 pm, B. D. Colen at bdcolen@earthlink.net wrote:

> The only problem with "independent media" as a response is that many a
> demonstrator will take that to mean "cop."

No, BD, my whole point is in this context it has a very specific meaning
which is the exact opposite of cop. Check out:

    http://www.indymedia.org/

...or for an even clearer illustration of the connotation of the phrase just
do a search for 'independent media' on any of the search engines. See below
for what MSN throws up. The point is that it is a perfectly accurate way to
describe yourself, even within the terms of the demonstrators. You're not
taking anyone's shilling, and more to the point the very fact that you use
the phrase gives a little hint that you're in their camp.

MSN Search Results for 'independent media'.

1.     Citizen Vagrom
http://www.speakeasy.org/citizen/vagrom
The Citizen Vagrom, a Seattle-based e-zine has articles on its stance
against corporate-sponsored media.
2.     Independent Media Center
http://www.indymedia.org/
Network of independent media organizations and journalists working as a
counterpoint to coverage of issues, such as the Seattle WTO protests.
3.     Seattle-Area Independent Media Cabal
http://www.speakeasy.org/wfp/24/Glance.html
Furnishes an email contact directory for Seattle-area media producers and
activists. Includes film, Internet and print media.
4.     Global Village CAT
http://www.openchannel.se/cat/
Review links to hundreds of public-access TV stations in countries around
the globe. Also contains links to other independent media resources.
5.     Bolivia - Committee to Protect Journalists
http://www.cpj.org/countrystatus/1998/Americas/Bolivia.html
Briefly examines pivotal role played by the country's mostly independent
media. Also details recent legal cases involving the press.
6.     Uzbekistan - Committee to Protect Journalists
http://www.cpj.org/countrystatus/1998/Europe/Uzbekistan.html
Learn about the authoritarian government's campaign of suppression against
the independent media. Also examines the state-run press.
7.     Paraguay - Committee to Protect Journalists
http://www.cpj.org/countrystatus/1998/Americas/Paraguay.html
Reports on legislation effecting the freedom of the independent media.
Includes profiles of threatened journalists.
8.     Rwanda 2000 Report - Reporters Sans Frontieres
http://www.rsf.fr/uk/rap2000/afrique/rwanda.html
Furnishes information on journalists who have been attacked or imprisoned,
and examines the government's treatment of the independent media.
9.     Kenya 2000 Report - Reporters Sans Frontieres
http://www.rsf.fr/uk/rap2000/afrique/kenya.html
Describes cases of journalists who have been arrested, harassed or attacked.
Also details the government's suppression of independent media.
10.     Cambodia 2000 Report - Reporters Sans Frontieres
http://www.rsf.fr/uk/rap2000/asie/cambodia.html
Describes new liberties being enjoyed by the nation's independent media, and
offers details about cases of harassed journalists.
11.     Zambia 2000 Report - Reporters Sans Frontieres
http://www.rsf.fr/uk/rap2000/afrique/zambia.html
Details legal restrictions placed on the country's independent media, and
examines recent cases of harassed and attacked journalists.
12.     Kazakhstan 2000 Report - Reporters Sans Frontieres
http://www.rsf.fr/uk/rap2000/europe/kazakhstan.html
Describes how Draconian measures taken against the independent media have
forced out most of the country's newspapers.
13.     Armenia - Committee to Protect Journalists
http://www.cpj.org/countrystatus/1998/Europe/Armenia.html
Examines the tensions between the government and the independent media, and
reports on the pervasiveness of censorship pressures.
14.     Egypt - Committee to Protect Journalists
http://www.cpj.org/countrystatus/1998/mideast/Egypt.html
Examines the government's recent suppression of the independent media.
Includes profiles of imprisoned, harassed, and censored journalists.
15.     Intellectual Capital - Big Media is Not Always Better
http://www.intellectualcapital.com/issues/issue306/item6646.asp
Bipartisan public magazine features Eric Alterman's discourse on "The New
York Times," "Village Voice" and importance of independent media.

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica]Independent Media)