Subject: RE: [Leica] Street photography
From: "Bob Walkden" <bobwalkden@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 22:00:10 BST

Hi,

journalists, particularly investigative journalists, but also the gutter
press, misrepresent themselves a lot, in any situation it which it serves
their purposes. I can probably find any number of examples where a
journalist or photographer has travelled into a country on a tourist visa,
for instance, and operated essentially as a tourist, in a spot where things
are difficult for people travelling as journalists. I personally know
several journalists who've done this.

As you say, sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. So I see no ethical
or moral difficulty if civilians choose to represent themselves as
journalists in situation where it serves their purpose. I've done it myself
on several occasions where it gets me out of difficulties. People frequently
just don't understand what motivates somebody to take certain types of photo
in certain situations, and after the 3rd or so time on the same day of
trying to explain to people what you're doing it becomes wearing and
time-wasting. Easiest to take the line of least resistance.

Cheers,

Bob