Subject: Re: [Leica] getting naked in london, long OT
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 08:11:03 -0600

I grew up in the small town of Castlegar, British Columbia in Canada. We
were a typical resource industry town, with one exception, a very large
population of Russian religious emigrants called Doukabours. Charming people
really but, as with any large religious group, there was a small splinter
group as well, quite violent in the early twenties, called "The Sons of
Freedom".

They believed in the purity of the natural state and that possessions and
"trappings" were sent from the "other" guy to distract their worship of the
"not other" guy. As with most firmly held beliefs, a great deal of time was
taken up with destroying unbeliever's possessions which annoyed the local
authorities to no end. So after a S of F helped a unbeliever to rid
themselves of their possessions, by burning down their houses, the local
authorities would pack them off to prison. This precipitated hunger strikes
by the prisoners and, of course, protest marches by those not yet
incarcerated or just released.

What is the point of this long build up? Well one fact I forgot to mention
was that the Doukabours had a very starchy diet were usually about as wide
as they were tall. During the protests the ladies would start singing hymns
and get quite stirred up and feel very close to the "not other" guy, faster
than you could say beached whale, off came the clothes. Strangely, it was
always the ladies not the men! Hmm, perhaps there are nuances of the sects
beliefs I am not completely familiar with. In the twenties and thirties I am
sure the sight of hard working farm girls getting close to their maker would
have been moving indeed; however, by the time I came along, in the sixties
and seventies, it was a sight indeed!

The whole thing was pretty tragic at the end. The not very little old ladies
in their late seventies or eighties going on hunger strikes until the
authorities couldn't stand the guilt any more, but, the first thing the
ladies they would do when released would be to get the matches and head over
to the neighbours! Back to jail with the grannies. More protests and
excitement would result. The sight of a group of grannies in the buff was
very sobering to this adolescent and may well have gone a long way to
explaining the rather low number of unwed mothers in the area.

I hope you do not mind this long OT comment especially as I actually could
not bring myself to look at the pictures. Brings back too many painful
memories. :-)

John Collier

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] getting naked in london, long OT)
Reply from Wilber Jeffcoat <jeffcoatphoto@sumter.net> (Re: [Leica] getting naked in london, long OT)