Subject: Re: [Leica] "notoriously crappy" lens
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@panix.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 19:43:37 -0400 (EDT)

I'm sometimes reminded of the time I saw a gallery show of
Alfred Eisenstadt's photos. It's amazing how good and
wonderful his images look from the 1930s. Think about
which Leica lens he may have used--50mm f/2 Summar?
Most interesting are his photos of the Nazi big guy
and his friends.Also the photo Eisie made of the repairs
being done on the top "skin" of the lighter-than-air ship
(was it the Hindenburg?) while the "ship"
       "shiip" was over the
North Atlantic. Which uncoated Leica lenses did he use?
Then we can talk about the inferior black-adn-white films
of the 1930s. Fast ones were relatively slow, grainy and
not so sharp. WOW

Ed