Subject: Re: [Leica] 21, 24, or 28?
From: Jesse Hellman <palio@miata.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 23:01:29 -0400

Robert,

It is very hard to address a query about which lens is best without
knowing what types of photographs you like, how you see. For example,
some would say architectural photographs are best if you use a
perspective control lens. You could get a 28mm Nikkor PC and a body to
hold it. I used a 35mm Nikkor PC for years, it is a very useful lens.
But then I put it aside and eventually sold all my Nikon equipment.

Now I find a 21mm Elmarit-M (pre-ASPH) to be a wonderful, indispensible,
lens, and think the 24 is too short. I often travel with two bodies, one
with a 50 and one with a 21. You learn to make use of the perspective
for effect, rather than to try to correct it. I have found that a very
high number of spaces can be photographed very effectively - it is sort
of learning what the lens can do, and then making use of it. Oddly, I
have come to think of the 24 and longer lenses as normal, rather than
wide.

Jesse Hellman