Subject: Re: [Leica] U.S. Customs
From: ken@iisaka.org
Date: 7 Aug 2000 16:01:19 -0700

On Mon, 07 August 2000, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> Has any of the LUGgers here ever actually been questioned about the content of
> their camera bag when entering the U.S.? I have done so several times, both
> when I lived there and since moving to Europe; mostly via JFK or Newark but
> also Orlando on one occasion. None of the customs officers ever expressed any
> interest in anything beyond getting the white form you fill out on the plane.

The only time ever in my 20 years of international travel to be asked to open my luggage was when I was entering Japan.  I then sported a long pony-tail then, and that probably was it.  I otherwise only get a yawn from the agents.  (Now, I jinxed it!)

I probably never travelled to countries on the "list."  Passengers travelling from countries such as Netherlands, Columbia, and middle-eastern countries are rumoured to be searched more often than those travelling within "clean" nations.