Subject: RE: [Leica] U.S. Customs
From: "Chuck Peacock & Pauline Averbach" <cpeacock1@mw.mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 20:45:49 -0400

I've never had trouble with U.S. Customs at all.

Last Sunday I returned from a long weekend in Canada and (in addition to a
case of quite legal Leicas) I had a bunch of Canadian meat & produce from a
Saturday morning farmers' market that was definitely NOT legit.

At U.S. Customs the agent asked "Citizen of?" and when my wife said "USA' he
said OK and waved us on without so much as an "Anything to declare?"

As I think back, I think the ONLY time I ever had any trouble was once in
Milano when a German shepherd didn't like the smell of my suitcase. The
guard had me unpack the suitcase and the dog was still interested in the
suitcase, not the contents.  After concluding that the suitcase didn't have
any place for hidden compartments (it was molded plastic or fiberglass) they
finally let me go with some harsh words to the dog. Happily they were in
Italian so I didn't understand.

Chuck Peacock