Subject: Re: [Leica] Suggestions for Europe Trip
From: V8PWR@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 15:19:11 EDT

Dans un courrier daté du 09/08/00 22:18:18 Paris, Madrid (heure d'été),
pfang56@yahoo.com a écrit :

<< Luggers -

 I need your sound advice for an upcoming 14 day Europe
 Trip that I'm taking with (cringe!) a tour group.

 To provide you with a little context, I will be
 traveling to London, Paris, Lucerne, Innsbruck, Rome,
 Florence / Tuscany, and Venice.

 I currently have the following for my core leica
 equipment: 2 M6's, 35/2, 50/1.4, 90/2.8. I also
 purchased a Sony S70 digital camera for other shots..

 What are your recommendations for the following:

 1) Color Print Film (B+W is a given)

 I'm not sure whether I should get more Fuji NPH 400 or
 Reala 100. I've heard that many of the museums do not
 allow you to take flash photos, so it would make sense
 for me to get a faster film, but I give up some on
 grain.

 2) Tripod

 I currently have a Bogen 3221 with 3030 head, that I
 use primarily for my 4x5. I'm definitely not into
 lugging that around, and am considering the following
 setup:

 1) Bogen 3001 with 3030 head, or:
 2) Monopod, or:
 3) Small budget Slik U8000, or:
 4) Smaller budget Slik Compact, and/or:
 5) Mini Tripods

 In addition to weight as a factor, I've also heard
 that most museums won't let you take a tripod in the
 building.

 3) Wide Angle Lens

 I'm contemplating the purchase of a 24 or 21mm M Lens,
 in order to capture everything. One of my concerns it
 that the usage will not justify the cost (possibly
 $1500).

 3) Any other things you would suggest???

 I appreciate your help!

 Peter

Hello Peter .     Don't forget that sometimes it pays to take only one Leica
M with your best lens .
I did it on a trip to Djibouti last year and it's great :
You travel light.
You don't loose time .
You look like the perfect tourist with a P&S.
It's also a great time to learn a lens .
This way you take the kind of photographs a Leica M is made for . Actually ,
what's the size and weight advantage of having a small camera like an M if
you carry so much of them ? You end up in a more complicate situation than
having a Nikon F4 / 5 with a good zoom .
I don't even think about the pain it is to use the Digital thing instead of
taking a good picture .
Be Basic .
Cheers                                    Jo GOODTIMES            France