Subject: Re: [Leica] Martin Howard and "Eric The Red" or "Longboat across America"
From: V8PWR@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 05:45:05 EDT

Dans un courrier daté du 12/08/00 21:26:52 Paris, Madrid (heure d'été),
TTAbrahams@aol.com a écrit :

<<  For those on the LUG who has wondered about the whereabouts of the LUG
 gadfly Martin Howard, I can inform you that he is finishing up a 3-week tour
 of the US. His trip started off with a flight to New Orleans and then on to
 San Diego and a hurried roadtrip up the California coast and on to Seattle.
 The reason for the speed was to arrive in Vancouver early enough to figure
 how to navigate his latest acquisition "Eric The Red" a.k.a. "The Big Red"
or
 "The Longboat". Martin is new to car ownership and called upon me to help
him
 and given the opportunity to lead a youth astray, I jumped at the chance. He
 has never owned a car before and I figured out he needed something that when
 he was asked "What was you first car?" would cause a bit of a stir. First
 rule governing "First Cars", they must be cheap, second rule they should
 allow you to sleep in them, and the third rule is that the sound-system
 should be good or at least weird enough. Eric The Red full-filled all these
 requirements, it was less than a new 50 Summicron for a M (this is my
 arbitrary guideline for cars), it has a back-seat big enough for a party of
 four and it has a Quadraphonic 8-track system with multiple speakers, some
of
 which works! Martin is now cruising back to Columbus, Ohio in a 20 feet of
 1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, metallic red and at least 4 cows gave up
 their hides for the acres of grey leather. Oh, it also came with a large
 selection of 8track tapes, ranging from Mantovani's String music to Elvis
 Golden Hits all the way to James Taylor, as well as some 1977 Disco Dance
 tapes!
  For the last 4 days we have been checking the car out, cleaning out several
 years of accumulated pine-needles (it was parked on a smallish island of the
 coast of BC, under some old growth pine trees) as well as fixing some of the
 mechanical problems afflicting 23 year old cars. It is a low-mileage car
 (113000 miles) as the Island it resided on is not that big, nor does it have
 that much of a road-system, it has it shares of minor dings (Exc+
condition),
 including a couple of dents on the hood and left hand fender where a 80ft
 pine tree landed and broke in half, during a storm. It did dent the chrome
 strip on the fender and put a quarter-sized dent in the hood.
  Yesterday was spent cleaning the interior and outfitting the car for 2000
 miles of I-90/I-94 cruising, some tools, some food and he already had "On
The
 Road" by Kerouac and a Rand McNally road map. Chris, a friend of ours gave
 him the RoadWarrior kit, a box with a mug, spoon, tea, a chocolate bar (in
 case of breakdown, eat the chocolate bar before attempting to fix anything),
 and other essentials. We gave some extra FP-4 and Pan-F as well as some
bread
 and fruit. Of course he is carrying his trusty Shintaro painted black M2
with
 25/35/50 and 90  and he will soon figure out how to drive one-handed and
 shoot through the windshield, across a substantial expanse of hood.
  LUGgers along I-90 and I-94, for the next 4-days keep your eyes peeled for
 metallic red  Lincoln driven by a person brandishing a black M2. Of course
we
 all want a travel report once he is back in Ohio later this month.
 Bon Voyage Martin!
 Tom & Tuulikki and Barnack the Cat

Hey Tom . THIS is a story that I really love .    Now I'm longing my 66 Chevy
II to be painted ( my body man is on
vacation ) .
The car has a front bench seat and when I drive there's always a handy Leica
M laying on it . " Drive by Shooting "
technique is easy .
Keep on the good story .                                 JoGOODTIMES

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Martin Howard and "Eric The Red" or "Longboat across America")