Subject: Re: Vs: Vs: Vs: Vs: [Leica] 50mm lens: now "-M"
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 19:24:03 EDT

In a message dated 8/10/00 12:04:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
raimo.korhonen@pp2.inet.fi writes:

<< Yes, some do not even have the M. But I have never heard that any
manufacturer would ever produce anything but "the latest optical design
available" - not even Leica if you ask them. IMHO this hype about the M is
nonsense - >>

Absolutely!  Of course it's all hype and marketing nonsense.  However, it
still has an effect on the price of a lens, directly or otherwise.  I will
say again that the first Summicron to carry the "-M" is by all credible
accounts the same optic as the later and current model with built-in hood,
which might sell for more than the earlier model in the retail market, simply
because it is a newer body design and more recent product.  To me, all this
represents nothing more than the opportunity to buy the same optic in the
earlier body at a lower price, as you and I have both done.

Joe Sobel