Subject: Re: [Leica] CONDEMN Ebay?
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 08:44:23 -0500

I Respectfully Submit,

As someone who has recently looked into and used eBay for buying
and selling photographic equipment: I find it a fascinating world
market place. It takes some time/effort to make a good listing
with photos, etc. But one can find considerably more information
regarding the look and condition there than a few few words on
the lug.

> IMO, people who put up an article on Ebay first and then tell
everybody in the LUG to go and have a crack at it is like someone
who wants his cake and eat it.

And find no offense in luggers letting me know where I can go to
get this expanded information, as well as a feel for the the
international market.

> I see it as an unfriendly and selfish act within a forum of
people who generally have a common interest and comraderie.

Having sold 8 items and bought a few, I have found the
photographic community on eBay every bit as friendly and
courteous as any lugger and in some cases more so.

> imply? I get the message that we are given one chance to make
good the purchase (and better do it quick). Otherwise, whoever it
is is going to get a better deal on Ebay.

While I love to find great deals, anywhere, I also NEED to get
the best possible price on anything I sell. And eBay, like every
other auction venue, represents the true market value on any
given day within the buyer group present. A couple years ago I
bought a Durst Lab 184 (8x10) with color head and 300mm Nikkor in
superb condition for $250 at Local commercial studio auction,
essentially scrap steel prices. That represented the market at
that place on that day. Good for me.

I have always enjoyed the auction approach as a fascinating
marketing experience, whether eBay, Sotheby's or the local scene.
And I welcome the knowledge that auctions offer regarding the
various market fluctuations.

> Ebay seems to have succeeded in bringing out the worse in human
behavior.

Advice: Leave the emotions out of buying and selling. Enjoy the
fact that that the technology allows us to shop / sell around the
world, meeting wonderful people in far away places.

My vote: Let us know if you have things for sale on Friday, with
or without ebay list info. I'm just another potential customer
for the item. Not a dear friend or relative. If I'm interested in
owning your gear, I'll go look and bid. If not I won't. Remember
the old advice, "Don't sell your used car to your
brother-in-law."

But: I really did get a good feeling (emotion again) from reading
about the fellow who only sold stuff for what he put into it.
Wonderful human being. Kudos. I can't afford to do that at this
time.

George

Replies: Reply from John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu> (Re: [Leica] CONDEMN Ebay?)