Subject: Re: [Leica] CONDEMN Ebay?
From: John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 10:50:35 -0400

My two cents.... My Ebay feedback rating is now 70, after three years of
sell and buying.  Obviously I'm not a high volume person and do it as a
hobby.  My experience has been almost universally positive.  I've bought
and sold a lot of good Rolleiflexes, accessories, etc.  I bought a Bessa
II and used it sporadically for a year then sold it for what I paid.  I
got some great experience out of that.  I've bought some Leica lenses
that were just as described and cheaper than KEH.  When things get too
high I don't bid... the marketplace is so large that for all but rare
collectibles there will always be something else next week.  I have
never cheated anyone.  I have only been dissapointed once... on a Leica
CL that came and the meter didn't work. The buyer said it was working
when he shipped and I suppose it could have been damaged in transit.
When I resold it I made absolutely sure the buyer knew in advance that
the meter didn't work.  I took a loss.  But that's integrity.

I've learned to use a reserve.  Some buyers are dishonest and there is a
well known method to cheat a seller using two bidders with one
retracting at the last minute.  Reserves keep that from happening.  I
wish it weren't so.

I really don't mind folks listing their ebay auctions here.  I am too
busy to keep watch on all the stuff there and sometimes a pointer
helps.  I also think it's a nice gesture to list your stuff here first.
I try to do that.  However, some times I don't know what a fair price is
and let the marketplace decide with an auction.

Ebay has leveled the playing field between collectors and used camera
stores.  A fair price is defined as when a willing buyer and a willing
seller with perfect knowledge agree on that price.  Ebay facilitates
that like nothing else could have before.

By the way, has anyone noticed the large increase in auctions from
Germany lately priced in DM?  I wonder if Ebay decided to list all world
auctions together, or if the usage in Germany has recently increased?
For someone interested in German cameras this is a good thing.  Now, I
need to find out what a "vorkasse" is.  :-)

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] ebay Germany)