Subject: Re: [Leica] rumours from the east
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 11:38:52 +1000

> Ah, sometime ago, a guy told me about a new R8 motor drive that works with
> alkaline batteries....Sorry if this was already talked about.  Should we
> regard it as a new development?

Hello all R users.  I hope I don't offend anyone who's seriously into
using alkaline batteries, but I'm delighted with the performance of my
R8 motor drive with its rechargeable battery.  I'm not a machine gunner
when it comes to picture taking, so I'm certainly not using it to the
fullest, but I go through enough to appreciate the capacity advantage,
the cost advantage and the environmental advantage.  I've got a draw
full of almost used up AA's from my F5 - they get their last hurrah in
my little boy's toys - he doesn't mind if those things run a bit slow.

As for R developments, how about some aspherical wides, or something as
simple as some screw in sunshades, or a universal job like Hasselblad's
Proshade.  At the moment I'm using a piece of cardboard jammed between
the R8's top-plate and the flash SCA adapter to provide decent shade for
the lens.  But it vibrates in the wind....

All things considered, I'm getting outstanding results from my R
equipment, 'specially the 100 APO Macro.  Definitely an 'Oh my God!' lens.

Regards

Rick (could do with another R8 actually) Dykstra