Subject: [Leica] Mark's two degrees!
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 11:50:35 -0700

Bill Satterfield wrote:

> Tina, the night before I mix anythig, I fill enough graduates with water, cover
> them up and leave them in my air conditioned dark room overnight. The next day
> the water is a cool 68-70 degrees
>
> Bill( I keep my darkroom cool) Satterfield
><Snip>

The ruckus I created a week ago somewhere when I insisted "from long experience"
that liquids in the darkroom will be two degree's cooler than the air. If my air
thermometer is 71 my trays and even glass bottles of chemicals will pour out at
69. (degrees)
Turns out though that there are certain basic thermodynamic concepts this goes
up against.
EXCEPT THAT IT IS TRUE.
In every darkroom I've ever worked in and that's a lot!!
First about five people say I'm an amazing idiot.
Then another five or ten (real smart) people say I'm right or close to it!
No metal trays by the way.
I'd attribute it to evaporation and the air thermometer tends to be eye level
while the liquids are kept in the cooler lower levels or on the very cool cement floor.
Mark's law of thermodynamics: water is cold!
Mark William Rabiner
:)

Message from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (Re: [Leica] Recipe for using Xtol developer; WAS: Variant on "Food for Leicas")
Message from Bill Satterfield <cwsat@cyberhighway.net> (Re: [Leica] Recipe for using Xtol developer; WAS: Variant on"Food for Leicas")