Subject: [Leica] David Alan Harvey Workshop
From: "Jim Laurel" <JimLaurel@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 03:12:18 -0700

I attended David Alan Harvey's class, "The Liminal Moment", last month at
the Santa Fe Workshops and found it a very valuable experience.  He doesn't
pull any punches, so the critiques each day are very constructive.  He
worked us quite hard in the class and since we were all out shooting alone
during the days, we spent our evenings each night partying over at Dave's
house until the wee hours and talking photography.  I didn't get more than 4
hours of sleep each night!  Each of us shot a story during the class, so the
week started with alot of uncertainty, which by mid-week had changed to
sheer terror.  Then, finally, elation, as we showed our completed photo
essays to all the workshop participants at the week's end.

The two most memorable takeaway points (aside from Dave's continual harping
that my photos are too didactic):

1) "Simplify...one camera, one lens, one film".  Alot of gear and a wide
assortment of film types just gets in the way.  Carrying alot of lenses has
you wondering which to use, while the pictures are slipping away.  Dave uses
an M6 with Summilux 35 aspherical for most of his work.  I think he said he
carrys a Elmarit 28 and Summilux 50mm as well as an extra body, but doesn't
use them often.

2) "Just take the f*****g picture".  Too often we hesitate on the shutter
release because the focus or exposure isn't just right.  Try to preset
exposure when entering a scene, and focus as best you can.  But, when the
picture happens, just take the picture!  Better to have the perfect moment
with less than perfect focus than a perfectly focused picture with no moment
or emotion.  Always go for the moment.

All in all a great week.  SFW is a very well-organized operation.  The
accomodations on campus were in a Catholic school dorm and were adequate.
Meals were outstanding.  SFW staff members get the highest marks for
helpfulness and courtesy.  SFW are setting up a new operation in Mexico
soon.

Please feel free to email me privately if you have any specific questions.

Regards to all,
- --Jim Laurel

Replies: Reply from Rich Lahrson <tripspud@wenet.net> (Re: [Leica] David Alan Harvey Workshop)
Reply from Rich Lahrson <tripspud@wenet.net> (Re: [Leica] David Alan Harvey Workshop)