Subject: [Leica] re: why m is so popular?
From: Kyle Cassidy <cassidy@netaxs.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 12:55:05 -0400 (EDT)

>Many people are using M. Many people want to buy M. Many books and
>magazines talk about M. Unfortunately, I want to buy a R. Why M is more
>pupular than R? Am I right to buy a R?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Terry Sham

because while leica arguably makes a top of the line rangefinder, their
flagship R model has basically the same features as a nikon f3. relegating
it to the necks of doctors, and lawyers (and of course sal, who will now
flame me good :-)

as for if you're right to buy an R, not is you're buying it for features.
if you're buying it cause it looks nice and you can't keep your fingers
off it (which is as valid reason as some others) then there's no
substitute. and if you're buying it to impress folks at the country club,
(and that's a valid reason too) then there's no substitute. but if you're
buying it because you want a feature rich, versitile, sturdy camera you're
wasting your money. also, if you're buying it because the lenses are so
much sharper than Nikons or Canons, you're wasting your money, go buy a
mamyia 645 and start kicking some sharpness butt.

kyle (now putting on his asbestos suit)