Subject: Re: [Leica] Montreal Stores --> Fall Colors to the East
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 16:34:48 -0400

. . . it looks like I'll be only getting
as far as Montreal on my Annual Fall Sojourn
To The Western Horizon
Greg Locke
	--> You ABSOLUTELY must consider spending some time
	in the Eastern Townships, about 100 miles East of Montreal,
	somewhere around Sept 20 to Oct 05, for peak Fall Colors.

	Fall Colors get to be fantastic from about Bromont all the way
	to Megantic, near the Maine border.
	On the North-South axis, look at the maps from
	Asbestos, QC to Franconia N.H.
	These regions will fill your heart with scenic grandeur,
	plentiful color, hoping you get lucky and get to have sunny days
	on your trek.

	A good "special" place to stay is North Hatley, QC,
	where the scenery, next to Massawippi Lake, is
	quite extraordinary at that time of the year.
	There's a five star (four star?) gastronomic restaurant
	and inn where Toronto's elite come for week-end get aways.

	Compared to metropolitan areas, it's truly affordable
	and has a peerless reputation -- North Hatley Inn
	325 Virgin Hill 1-819-842-2451. Right on the lake,
	with sailboats and canoes (free??), heated swimming pool,
	restaurant, fine "vintage era" rooms restored to the
	latest standards, finest cuisine in the area, and a quiet
	bar lounge. Even if but for a night's stay and dinner,
	I'm sure you'll love it, even if you bring young children.
	They're a "Relais et Chateaux" member:
	http://www.relaischateaux.fr/

	From there, you're within two hours' drive
	to all the locations I mention above. I'm not 100% sure all
	rooms have wood burning fireplaces.

	I have no idea if it is easy to rent a room there
	during Fall Colors, but certainly well worth checking
	into. On the Massawippi, Hovey Manor and the
	Ripplecove Inn also have faithful returning clienteles.

	I just checked, there's more info on the web. Try
	+North +Hatley +Inn.

	Also, should you get lost somehow, most people
	understand English enough to be of real help.

	About 25 miles North from there, in Windsor Mills, QC,
	there's a wonderful un-advertised river complex
	called "La poudriere" (powder keg?), unique photo ops,
	"natural" trail treatment, certainly a place for a 24 or 21mm,
	and a feast of a restful moment. This is what remains
	of an early XIXth Century gun powder manufacture.
	If you're a shadow detail / highlights freak, you're in for a treat,
	especially if you enjoy darker greens (in the Summer at least),
	as the forest there is about 50% coniferous.

	Mount Orford Park and Owl's Head ski areas are uniquely beautiful,
	to the West, around Memphremagog Lake, and don't miss
	Abbaye St Benoit du Lac in Austin, the Benedictine Abbey
	(and their apples at that time of year), interesting photo op.
	From the Abbey, you could use Glenn Valley road to reach Brome,
	then Sutton, another fantastic ski resort area with many
	Fall Colors treats for avid photographers.

	You could use Coaticook to get to the USA for a leisurely
	road trip to Franconia, about 100 miles from the border.
	Around October 1st to 10th can be pretty bad there
	as the New York and Boston area newspapers have
	made the people aware of the Fall Colors and scenery,
	so roads get far more tourists than usual. Many excellent
	places to stay and dine in that area too. The Balsam
	most definitely is the most memorable place to stay at,
	with fancy dining and golf as bonus.

	I hope this can be interesting to other people
	on the list,

	Best regards,

	Andre Jean Quintal

Replies: Reply from Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com> (Re: [Leica] Montreal Stores --> Fall Colors to the East)