Subject: Re: [Leica] Montreal Stores --> Fall Colors to the East
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 05:47:24 -0400

Greg Locke wrote:
. . .
This will let me
take the "air route" through Maine and crossing into Quebec at Vermont
south of Sherbrook or further east in Maine around Megantic.
. . .
	--> What you may want is the "peak" and this shifts
	over a period of about 10 days depending on location,
	altitude and weather.
	Fall Colors usually are "somewhere" between Sept 20th
	and October 10th.
	Rimouski, the Trans-Canada way to New Brunswick takes
	you either a bit lower, at Rivière-du-Loup, 200 miles
	North from Quebec city, with a Matapedia Valley option
	about 275 miles from Quebec city: that area is about
	over by Oct 1st most years -- I've lived there three years
	and it's fantastic, but even better further North,
	through the Cascapedia Valley (scenery there is out
	of this World) with a little used road from Ste Anne des
	Monts to New Richmond -- beware of late Fall and Winter
	there's lots of snow there and icy road often -- if you're into
	landscapes and post card photography (I've even encountered
	a herd of about 20-25 moose one evening ), this is one
	place to check out, same for hunting and sport fishing.

	I live close to the USA border -- Sherbrooke is 35 miles
	North from the 49th parallel, 10 miles North from North
	Hatley, in the Appalachian mountain range.

	The area you describe is mountainous, wild for the most
	part, so you have to understand that the peak days, usually
	about 3-4 days per area, shift significantly BUT, as you
	are travelling through much of it, you stand a very good
	chance of catching part of the "action". This is a high grade
	deer hunting region too, a bit later on in the year.

	If you happen to come back in Canada through Megantic,
	use the older road closer to the border: the scenery there
	is nonesuch -- bring binoculars, you'd be in for a treat.
	Mont Megantic, where the observatory is, can be spellbinding,
	and, on clear days and nights, you can see Montreal [ ! ],
	but turn East / South and the beauty is simply majestic. There's a
	paved road to the top and it's free; just make sure your brakes
	are in good condition . . . it's quite steep is a few places.

	On the American side of the region, peak days are a little later
	but the vista is just as magical. People come here from around
	the World, many Japanese photo nuts lately: do consider.
	I'd say later September to Oct 5th, most years.

	The hotels I mentioned are all of the older "stylish" variety,
	with an accent on good living and outstanding food. I "sold"
	North Hatley Inn but Hovey Manor's grounds and excellent
	cuisine is the one I actually prefer; I'd characterize it
	as having an early XXth Century style but it's mostly the sort of place
	you'd go to for an executive's restful few days away from
	the noise and bustle of metro cities to recenter and enjoy
	Life. Many well-to-do people choose the area for their
	later years: lucky dogs !

	No wonder many American millionnaires of late XIXth Century
	liked North Hatley and built many mansions there. The lake
	is almost 1000' deep and it's a year round Nature show.
	There's good golf and fishing (many species) there, too.

	I hope your travelling dates coincide with the peaking days:
	you'll NEVER forget the experience, especially as you have
	the photographer's eye (and soul) for this Kodachrome region.

	Best regards,

	Andre Jean Quintal

Message from ARTHURWG@aol.com (Re: [Leica] Re: Why M is so popular?)
Message from Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com> (Re: [Leica] Montreal Stores --> Fall Colors to the East)