Subject: Re: [Leica] the very last...
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:02:19 -0700

Hard to say- I would like to see the price come down. The tooling and
development is long paid for, and it is a wonderful edition in a line of
cameras that are famous for their mechanical excellence.
The R6.2 is a marvel- and even if electronics seem to prevail, there still
is a sizable group of photographers who need or want a mechanical camera
that is reliable under many advers conditions, and can be used in third
world contries where the nearest battery store or Radio Shack can be many
miles away!!
Also- baking an LCD display in the hot sun, or freezing it in the artic cold
can be chancy- the R6.2 classic knobs and dials seem better suited!
The old cameras, in my opinion, were and still are so reliable because Leica
hit upon a method of exposing the film, so long ago, that was so deceptively
simple, and durable, that it has remained largely unchanged for nearly 75
years. You can't argue with success. I guess the Leica is somewhat like the
horseshoe crab- something else that's been around for a long time! It's
simple, it works, so why mess with it!
Oh well! We can dream! With all the talk about the Nikon S3, I would like to
say that it would be nice if Leica could remake the IIIg, but in place of
the selftimer, put a small metering circuit in there, retain the LTM so that
all the lens could be used- even the M lenses with an adapter, and make them
no more expensive than the M6- even if they were made in Taiwan, as long as
they were made to specification!
Of course, I won't hold my breath!
Dan ( Lost in Summar world! ) Post