Subject: Re: [Leica]: Portraits
From: "Peter Stamos" <pjstamos@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 13:52:59 EDT

"Just wondered if anyone out there has done any "serious portrait work"
using only window light? In colour or B&W, and what film/lens
combination they used?
I mean portraits that challenge the "portrait studio " of
strobes/hotlights ?
ted"

While I doubt this will be very helpful except by way of example, I have
done project-specific, non-commercial portraits that eschew studio portrait
conventions using only an M6, 50mm, Tri-X at 400 and T-Max 3200 at 3200.  In
one of my favorite examples using the latter, my subject, a young woman in
her twenties, was illuminated by late afternoon sun through floor to ceiling
panel glass in a modern corporate box building in New York City. Whether the
result is in fact truly ethereal, as I believe, is, of course, a matter of
opinion, I suppose.  I also like a series of portraits I did with Tri-X of a
four-year old and her mother, before a large, almost all white abstract
painting, facing daylight coming through full length curtains.