Subject: [Leica] Re: WAS: Double up. NOW: topic change?
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 18:42:24 -0400

2000-08-21-11:29:43 Ted Grant:
> Just wondered if anyone out there has done any "serious portrait work"
> using only window light? In colour or B&W, and what film/lens
> combination they used?

Well, it ain't me myself (which may be what Ted was looking for) and
there was a brief mention of her a few months ago, but... how many of
y'all have seen Jane Bown's work?

Somehow I'd never even heard of her 'til I went to the UK on business
a few months ago; I stumbled into a gallery which was showing some of
her work.  When I mmentioned her on the LUG, it turned out she was a
personal favorite portraitist of several LUGgers, including our host
Brian.

  http://mejac.palo-alto.ca.us/leica-users/v17/msg02410.html

  http://mejac.palo-alto.ca.us/leica-users/v17/msg02428.html

  http://mejac.palo-alto.ca.us/leica-users/v17/msg02496.html

She's done a weekly photo for the Observer for years now, and seems to
be well-enough known over there, although I'd contend that she doesn't
have the international recognition the quality of her work should
command; I really liked her stuff.  Un-gimmicky portrait which tend to
get at something individual in each subject.

As for the technical stuff: as Ted specified, she apparently seeks out
a good little patch of natural light.  All the pictures I saw were in
black and white, and I seem to recall reading that she pretty much
unvaryingly takes the pictures with a 50mm lens at f/2.8 on her Olympus.
A really pleasing look.

Oh, cool: here's a page about the _Observer_ show/book:

  http://www.art-network.co.uk/publications/bown/herframe.htm

Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com> ([Leica] WAS: Double up. NOW: topic change?)