Subject: [Leica] Re: Portraiture by window light
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 19:41:18 -0400

2000-08-21-11:29:43 Ted Grant:
> Just wondered if anyone out there has done any "serious portrait work"
> using only window light? In colour or B&W, and what film/lens
> combination they used?

Oh, okay, I'll pony up few of my meagre efforts in that area just to
make people feel better about their own work.

We needed pictures of the designers and techies and such here at Oven
in kind of a hurry, so I just started marching people into a room
where I like the window light and the walls, and snapping away.

I apologize for not supplying my usual assortment of sizes and gammas,
so these might look a little light on Macs, and the ``medium'' size I
supply might seem a little big on impractically-small (less that 1K
vertical available for the image) screens or be annoying to load if
you're bandwidth-impoverished.  Just got lazy.

As for the photogeek info: they were all taken with 50mms on Ms; I
think I had a Summicron on one body and a new-formula Elmar on the
other.  The B&Ws were taken with a lightish-yellow filter (and may be
a mite unnaturally dramatic-looking -- should I have broken out a
yellow-green?  Something else?  MarkR?  Bueller?  Bueller?)  Don't
precisely remember the emulsions (and laziness once again rears its
head, keeping me from pawing through the archives at home to figure it
out).  I suspect TX or maybe HP5+ would've been involved on the B&W
front, and I know Fuji CH was working out well on the color front.
Apertures ranging from f/2.0 to f/4.0, depending on how much light was
available.

    http://people.oven.com/jbm/temp-displays/windowlight/

Funny thing... people always talked about how beautiful Julia is, but
I never quite noticed myself until I saw the photos.  Is that weird?

Replies: Reply from "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Portraiture by window light)
Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com> ([Leica] WAS: Double up. NOW: topic change?)