Subject: Re: [Leica] Ralph Gibson again
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 03:31:58 -0700

><Snip>  I carry
> > one camera loaded with black and white and one with color negative. Since 1961
> > my only camera has been a Leica. I use Fuji 100 color neg and Neopan 1600 B&W"
> snip
>
> Mark- Does it mean that he used visoflexes or his DR Summicron in all his
> close-ups?  I have assumed he occasionally uses SLR bodies with tele-macro
> lenses....
>
> BTW, my wife tells me that she can make a decent photobook as good as
> Gibson's out of my "failure" pics.  Should I feel happy or unhappy?
>
> MIKIRO

Feel happy becuase I think it is our Leica M's that can get those shots.

Both a 90 or a 135 M lens grabs a 220 x 330mm area.
8.66x13 inches
That's a tight little shot that could be called "macro" by plenty of people and
I'd guess that what he uses unless someone knows otherwise. Letter or Legal size
paper is darn close to that.
A 50 Summicron goes in for a
277 x 416 area.
10.9 inches by 16.38
Thats close to A3 sheet or 11x14 photo paper. Still a tight shot

430 x 640 is a 35mm Summicron
17 by 25 inches.
I think of that as a 20x24 print which is anther size I'm very familiar with.

Markwr

And he's talking about a different thing when he talks about problem negs to print.
He's not talking about proofs you'd rather dispose of.
He's approaching that issue as a printing challenge not an editing challenge.