Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens test
From: John Brownlow <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 16:08:24 -0400

on 23/8/00 3:48 pm, B. D. Colen at bdcolen@earthlink.net wrote:

> Yup. Pretty ironic, isn't it. You spend $210 trillion to own Leica lenses
> and it don't mean squat when it comes right down to it - IF you mostly shoot
> at the smaller apertures.....Now if you shoot wide open a lot, that's an
> other matter...but of course then there is still the handheld question......

I dunno, BD. I shoot wide open a lot, but there's also the flare suppression
question. I'm amazed at the ability of my 28/2.8 Elmarit to shoot into the
sun. Also, on the handheld question, all of these factors multiply, so even
if my hands are shaky I want a sharp lens. At f/8 I still think there is
some difference between my Leica lenses and others I won, if not in
sharpness then smoothness and that old fudge factor 'three dimensionality'.

The flip side of all this is that past f/11 ALL lenses start to get real
cruddy. Now owning leica glass and shooting it at f/16 or f/22... THAT'S a
crime!
- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com