Subject: Re: [Leica] Some statistics
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:00:24 -0700

GADZOOKS! I understand that!
The scales fell from my eyes-
Seriously, Erwin- I think that comparing the typical Leica user to an APS
user is futile. It is like comparing the market shares of a fine five star
'Cordon Bleu" restaurant to McDonalds- McDonalds sells 13 Billion hamburgers
a year, and the number of Beef Wellington sold will never come close. I
don't snuffle out old Leicas at flea markets- like a pig snuffling out
truffles, the same way I'd search for old Kodak folders! Kodak use to make
more cameras in one year that Leica has probably made in its entire history!
Looking at camera sales worldwide and trying to see if Leica is gaining or
losing may miss the point somewhat. Theincreased sales could be attributed
to several factors- not least among them- that the simplicity of the P&S and
APS cameras open up the world of photography to a lot of folks who may never
tried it! It appeals to the young- the latest baby boomers are perhaps
getting interested in taking pictures! Isee a lot of kids with cameras on
wrist straps, out and about! The fact that some of these cameras are stamped
out cookie cutter fashion by the millions and are becoming ever more cheaper
opens the market to even some of what might have been considered third world
countries- If photography is making inroads, even among the impoverieshed in
Latin America- a la the so called 'dump kids' that Tina told us about.
I think that Leica, for the market it targets, will be viable for a
while.... Even if they folded, their cameras would still be around for a
couple of generations, and probably find the  same niche as they do now! I
am sure that more than a couple of our number have an OLD Leica secreted
away in the bag- somewhere! C'mon, 'fess up!
Dan ( I SEE THE LIGHT! ) Post