Subject: Re: [Leica] Tri-Elmar Questions
From: John Campbell <jkcampbell@mmm.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 22:14:28 -0500

I have a Tri-Elmar and love it, I don't consider it my "primary lens"
but when I need to grab and go and don't want to carry anything but
one body with a lens it really covers the bases. The slow speed is
a consideration but really depends on what type of shooting you do.

As for the lens hood, here it is right from the manual that comes
with the lens:

"Lens hood
In order to keep the lens as compact as it is and in order to ensure
that the viewfinder image be obstructed as little as possible, a lens
hood was integrated directly into the lens. The longer the focal
length that is used, the further the front lens lies back inside of
the front mount. This guarantees that for all focal lengths the len's
path of rays is not interrupted while at the same time protecting the
front lens from stray light.
An additional lens hood can be attached when using filters, it is
available as accessory (order no. 12592)."

Best of luck, jc

At 10:24 AM 8/24/2000 EDT, you wrote:
>Hello All.  I have acouple of questions regarding the current Tri-Elmar.
First, I don't see it mentioned much on the list and would like to know
your opinions on it as a "travel lens", i.e., when traveling light along
with a 21mm and a 90mm.  I realize that a new one is to be announced in
September--smaller and "improved" casing, but same optics, but I can
purchase a current new one (Leica demo-1 year Leica-USA warranty)at $1700,
which seems like a good deal.  Second, does anyone know if there is a
dedicated Leica Lens Hood for this lens?