Subject: Re: [Leica] meters, schmeters
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 07:37:53 -0700

Brougham wrote:

> No fair!  You have been using M6s for more years than I've been
> walking.  Most of the time, I don't have to think before I put one
> foot in front of the other.  I believe you when you say you don't have
> to think about metering and you can devote your full concentration to
> your images--it shows.<<<<<<<<<

Hi Brougham,
metering <<<<<<<<<

You see there I go again making it sound so simple, it appears I don't
think about it, which isn't true.  I suppose to some degree, instinct to
what I read in the viewfinder metering of what the camera is giving me,
I feel if it's right or should it have a bit more or less. But generally
I look at the shutter speed first, is it hand holdable? I shoot, as the
aperture stays the same.

Then I only have one thing to think about, the shutter speed.

> I've only had my M6 for a few months now.  I'm starting to become one
> with my camera.  I can now hear it whispering to me, as long as I can
> get the other voices in my head to be quiet for a few moments.<<<<<<<<

Cool! Damn I'm glad I'm not alone. That's about the other voices! ;-)

Probably because I
> do this for fun.  Photography is an escape for me.  I want to be as involved in the process as possible.  It's fun for me that way.<<<<<<<<<

Don't ever lose that feeling! Fun is what it's supposed to be, no matter
how long one has been at it or just a beginner. If it isn't fun, why the
hell would anyone be so stupid to spend the money we LUGGERS do on Leica
gear, if we weren't having fun, as a collector or user.

50 years ago when my wife gave me my first camera for my birthday, a
little "Argus A2" 35 mm sort of P&S black plastic box, which launched me
into this crazy world of happy snapping, I was as happy as a clam in
warm soup. Today, I'm just as happy as then not only with the success of
my photography, but with the times I've had and the friends I've made
around the world face to face and on the LUG.

You see I don't look at any picture in that manner, I just see what
motivated me and I shoot! I suppose if pressed and we were looking at a
scene together I could figure out what a "mid-tone" was. Quite frankly I
bet you would determine it much faster than I.  So much for the 50 years.;-)

> And the bottom line is...  Hmm, the end result is that you are an accomplished photographer with prize-winning images and very nice books published. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I just got lucky in the right place at the right time.

that's what matters. :)<<<

Hey come on my friend, give yourself some time, no one is a "nobody in
the photo world."  We're all photographers,  beginner or pro,  simply
because  we all use a light tight box and light sensitive film. And
that's the great equalizer!  It's only time, location and given
publication opportunities that categorize whom we are.

For example, The Leica book, "75 years of Leica Photography" is the
great equalizer for me because everyone has only one photograph
published, there are no "mega stars." Even HCB has only one!  So does
ted Grant, cool!  :-) And I felt so good when I opened page 280 to see
my picture and knew I was in there with the greats of our time. And
that's what picture taking is all about, having fun and feeling good
with ones self and efforts, work or playtime.

> So for anybody listening, if you want great photos, want to be
> harassed by guys on big horses, and want to have an involuntary hair
> washing in the men's room, don't listen to me.  I'm in this game just
> for the fun of it.<<<<<<<<<

Aren't we all? Sure as hell count me in for the fun part, as that's the
only thing that makes up for the dummies we have to deal with when we're
playing photographer. ;-)

images to show for my efforts.<<<<<<<<<

Time me young son! That's your great asset, the stories and fantastic
images will come.  I bet you'll look back in many years at your
beginning stuff and say, "Damn I was good!" And smile. :-) And that's a
nice feel good thing.

> What you call a gut feeling, I call knowledge and experience.  I also really like Jim Brick's "good, bad, ugly" zone descriptions. Corresponds to what my "gut" says, too.<<<<<<<<<<<<<

As do I!
ted