Subject: [Leica] meters, schmeters
From: Brougham <brougham3@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 03:21:03 -0700 (PDT)

Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com> wrote:

> And so far since 1965 when I purchased 3 M6's at the same time, none
> of them have ever failed me with this method.

No fair!  You have been using M6s for more years than I've been
walking.  Most of the time, I don't have to think before I put one
foot in front of the other.  I believe you when you say you don't have
to think about metering and you can devote your full concentration to
your images--it shows.

I've only had my M6 for a few months now.  I'm starting to become one
with my camera.  I can now hear it whispering to me, as long as I can
get the other voices in my head to be quiet for a few moments.  I
still look for a mid tone and meter that, though.  Probably because I
do this for fun.  Photography is an escape for me.  I want to be as
involved in the process as possible.  It's fun for me that way.

And the bottom line is...  Hmm, the end result is that you are an
accomplished photographer with prize-winning images and very nice
books published.  Me?  I'm a nobody in the photo world.  But I'm
having fun, and that's what matters.  :)

So for anybody listening, if you want great photos, want to be
harassed by guys on big horses, and want to have an involuntary hair
washing in the men's room, don't listen to me.  I'm in this game just
for the fun of it.  And don't have nearly as many interesting
anecdotes or fantastic images to show for my efforts.

> However, if I see the exposure indication isn't quite what I like,
> (often I'm still wrong and the M6 arrow heads are right!)  I manually
> make a tiny/quick change due to gut feelings.

What you call a gut feeling, I call knowledge and experience.  I also
really like Jim Brick's "good, bad, ugly" zone descriptions.
Corresponds to what my "gut" says, too.