Subject: Re: [Leica] leica "demos"
From: "Matt Morgan" <mattmorgan@pdseurope.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 17:28:06 -0800

Rich,
Thanks for your response.
>>I also try to indicate in my advertisements, or certainly when I speak to the
> customer, which WARRANTY it comes with.<<
The `demo' I just bought came with a two year warranty, but I was motivated
to ask these questions simply because of the thread of "B grade' kit.
As I normally just walk in, make a decision, pay the rate and walk out, I
just wanted to make sure I wasn't as dumb as I might seem:-)
I usually accept the old adage of "you make your choice, you pays your
money", but if using the description of `demo' hides things that I should
know about before making a decision, I need to make an assessment of the
risk v saving.
>> My advice to you, is that if you are losing sleep over it, don't get a demo.
> I am always surprised when a customer with a large income will agonise over a
> purchase to save as little as $150 on some items! If I were in their shoes
> (and I have been in those shoes as a photographer/collector many times before
> becoming a dealer.) I would buy the new gear, pay the extra money, and save
> my worry-pills for something that really mattered.<<

I'm not losing sleep, (actually, I have a five week old baby, so I am!), and
I don't know what yard-stick by which you measure incomes, but spending
8,000 GBP (US$12,000+) in the space of a few months on something that is now
only used pretty much as a weekend hobby is a sizeable enough amount for me
to explore a saving. I had no intention of buying `demo' at all, but when I
went into the store to buy a new 50mm summicron, I saw the `demo' lux and
thought with a decent saving, I may as well have that. Same with the 24mm,
but now I might just buy new.
I'm just in that frustrating period where I'm acquiring the gear I want, but
just want to have it and then accelerate out to just concentrate fully on
shooting. However, buying these lens in stages is really useful because I'm
getting to know them gradually.
The LUG's advice and experience is great in helping me make informed
decisions (thanks), rather than buying blind, but I'll shortly be switching
my focus from gear onto what it's supposed to be used for.
Much appreciated, Matt.