Subject: RE: [Leica] Bokeh Nokeh
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 14:46:10 -0400

If I can suggest stepping back for a moment.....It's one thing to argue that
the whole Bokah debate is a bunch of effete bs...it's another to argue so in
what amount to a racist tone....First off, the use of "orient" and
"oriental" has for some time been quite offense to many Asian folks...second
off, as someone pointed out, English was not the first language of so many
of the Leica "greats" sited by the original poster, and they undoubtedly
used terms from their own languages. Third off, as we adopt many foreign
words into "Amurkan," why should Bokeh be a big deal...it's a lot easier to
say "interesting bokeh," then to say "interesting highlight and shadow
effects in those out-of-focus areas."

While the whole PC thing has undoubtedly gone WAY too far, a little bit of
cultural sensitivity never hurt anyone, particularly on an international
list such as this.

B. D.

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com> ([Leica] was: Bokeh Nokeh now language courtesy)