Subject: RE: [Leica] The Future Is Now
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 09:59:05 -0500

Harrison,

Please don't view my comments as disputing the fact that some
very knowledgeable folks told you how they like to work. But, in
the spirit of the the thread, The Future is Now (which I
interpret as cutting edge technology), I would ask them if
they've seen the very latest Black & White work from Jon Cone's
shop. Jon has achieved a break-through and his technology
produces "continuous tone B&W prints" (no dot) with an ink jet
printer. This stuff is advancing at incredible speed. Without a
doubt professional photography procedures are in serious
transition.

And my other point - The idea of sending out prints or slides for
publication has gone away in my day-to-day commercial business.
Publications as rule would rather have me supply the scan and a
proof than bother doing it themselves. And I don't mind. I can
produce 25 publicity CD's photos quicker and cheaper than the
prints. Plus I have control over retouching and the final result.
I also don't have to release original chromes and sweat over
their care or return in good condition. I don't know about
others, but back when we sent out originals, I could count on a
good percentage of them getting lost in space or returned with
finger prints and scratches.

I also find it interesting that

> digital since the beginning.  He is so into digital that a few
months
> ago they totally ditched all wet work are are now exclusively
> digital.  So if wet was not better why would he tell me to go
wet,
> knowing that I will have to go to a different lab?

So if wet is better why did he dump it and move to total digital?

Please understand that I continue to love my B&W darkroom and
it's 3 enlargers from 35 - 8x10. I'm definitely one of the
dinosaours but i see the future flying at me at light speed. I'd
love to play with Jon Cone's system. But for now I continue to
marvel at the image oozing up out of the white paper in the
smelly soup. I suspect if I ever move to total digital printing
that I will miss that magic moment in the darkroom. Although the
standing feels damn hard on old abused knees.

George

Replies: Reply from Harrison McClary <harrison@mcclary.net> (RE: [Leica] The Future Is Now)