Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Bokeh vs. Nukeh, WYSIWYG, YA
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 17:44:38 EDT

In a message dated 8/29/00 5:17:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jim_brick@agilent.com writes:

<< And the importance of
 stopped down DOF & sharpness evaluation became painfully evident in the
 following years working as a commercial/illustrative photographer.

 This, obviously, is not possible with a rangefinder camera sans reflex
 attachment. Which is why I have Summilux lenses for my M6's and use them as
 wide open as possible as much as possible. >>

Jim,

No apology necessary.  I didn't realize my feathers were that ruffled.  The
fact is, I even go so far as to use a Visoflex III with 4 different lenses,
ranging from the 65 Elmar up to 400, just because I enjoy it and like the
results.  The Viso, with its good old groundglass, gives me the best, most
uncluttered view at the highest magnification, as well as the clearest idea
as to what will be in focus.  However, I do not take even what I see through
the Viso as a precise equivalent of what will appear on the frame, mainly
because the out of focus areas simply do not bear an exact resemblance.  The
more the lens is stopped down, the greater the depth of field and the lower
the degree of difference between in-focus and out of focus areas.  The issue
really is whether one needs a reflex housing to see bokeh.  I say no, because
it never seems to look the same through the finder and on the film.

Joe Sobel