Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: Bokeh vs. Nukeh, WYSIWYG, YA
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 14:13:22 -0700

I apologize for ruffling your feathers.

But I have been using a ground glass for focusing and assessing all aspects
of what the resultant photograph will look like, since 1959, in all
formats. 35mm being one of the main formats.

My newest Hasselblad (203FE) has an Acute Matte screen that is extremely
bright, brightest screen I've ever had, and all of the virtues of visually
accessing a scene while stopped down are still there.

Perhaps the fact that I've been doing this for forty years makes it second
nature to me. I hardly ever take a photograph with a ground glass equipped
camera (now Leica R, Hasselblad 203FE & FlexBody, Linhof Technikardan)
without using stopped down image evaluation and focus check.

I attended Brooks Institute of Photography in 1960/61 and learned all about
COC, DOF, Scheimpflug, and everything else related to DOF including how to
calculate the various parameters on our slide rule. And the importance of
stopped down DOF & sharpness evaluation became painfully evident in the
following years working as a commercial/illustrative photographer.

This, obviously, is not possible with a rangefinder camera sans reflex
attachment. Which is why I have Summilux lenses for my M6's and use them as
wide open as possible as much as possible.

Anyway, to me personally, looking at a ground glass image at working
aperture is WYSIWYG. My mind's eye does the interpolation automatically.

Jim