Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: a life of photographing women
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 11:21:02 -0400

Jim,

I must be missing something, but I went back and re-read Mark's post very
carefully (as you suggest here) and it seems to me it is in direct
contradiction to your position here.  ???  True, he did not take photographs
of this particular model, but he states:

Over the decades I could have made the "ethical" decision to not shoot women
who
appear to be dieting heavily but so far it appears I've contributed to no
deaths. Had it gone the other way who knows how I'd be feeling about it now.
...anorexia being the prevalent female mental disorder which relates to
photographers.
<<<

Note the conditional in the first sentence: he _could_ have made the ethical
decision not to shoot--implying that he often shot photos anyway.

And then...

I think we interact with people with all kinds of problems all the time. We
don't know WHO will show up at our doorstep for a picture and what their
life's
baggage has amounted to.
 We just have to do the best we can without PHD's and try to treat these
people
like normal humans so that someday they can become normal humans.
Not isolate them or treat them like eggs.
<<<

I read this as a clear endorsment of Kyle's project and Johnny and Paul's
(et.al.) position on the subject.  You read it differently?

Regards,
Dan

P.S. We're in clear agreement on one count: the genius of Mark Rabiner!