Subject: RE: [Leica] tripod
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 10:29:59 -0400

Chris,

You make a good point here that I hadn't thought of (and it's the sort of
thing one _doesn't_ tend to think of until the equipment is used day to
day):

> If you are going to collaps and extend your tripod freqently, you
> will  not
> like tripods where you fix the position of the leg by turning
> little rubber
> or metal rings. Three legs times three sections makes twelve
> times twisting
> to set up and pack the tripod. Which will make your hands sore in no time
> at all.

It seems to me the Gitzo 1228 falls into this category (though I am only
guessing based on photos and descriptions--perhaps someone who owns/uses a
G1227 or G1228 can clarify), in which case, what is a better alternative
that is equally light weight?

You mention....

> I have a heavy, very stable tripod and a light weight one. Guess
> which gets
> used the most? But the big heavy one is good for holding reflection
> screens, and you need to be less careful about making sure the whole thing
> does not tip over when you have your camera at eye level. Makes quite a
> fall when it happens. My M landed in a well padded easy chair. No
> damage to
> camera och chair.

...but don't mention brand names or models.  I take it the lighter weight
model fulfills all of your requirements (height adjustable up to eye level,
light weight, easily (quickly) adjustable legs); if so, what's the
brand/model?

Thanks,
Dan

Replies: Reply from "res02bd8" <res02bd8@gte.net> (Re: [Leica] tripod)